Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm on Facebook stalking yurz profile....

I had to admit it never really dawned on me until yesterday that Facebook might be, just might be a risky place to post information for those who are into social engineering to commit id theft and fraud...

I came across this scenario whilst on site at a clients. We were in discussion and I mentioned Facebook and the up and coming importance of social media when a female member of staff walked by and piped up "I'm on Facebook!". Like it was the greatest claim ever...

I thought you don't know who I am, what I do or where I come from but you've possibly opened a pandora's box if I was some freaky stalker.

Inside 15 seconds without knowing her name I'd found out a lot... unfortunately her profile was wide open and I'd pretty much discovered enough to contemplate phoning her to see what other information she might give up (if I was an evil social engineer). I didn't of course but I did let her boss know she might want to restrict her profile to those who were not friends as there was enough there to do some damage.

Facebook then gave me a strange experience on the way home too... but thats another story I'll blog about when I'm ready... and its a pretty random one too!

:

Labels: , ,